Skip to main content

Printmaking Workshop

A week ago today I attended a printmaking workshop run by Michele Wright and Jane Ashdown, at the Porthmeor Printmakers studio above the Penwith Gallery in Back Road West, St Ives.

We 'novices' started off experimenting with intaglio techniques, using engraving tools on flexible, glossy faced card. The fine lines in my first attempt below (hmm, pears again) were created using sandpaper whereas the black areas were created by drawing an outline with one of the tools and then tearing away the top layer of card allowing the under layer to absorb a large quantity of ink. See the bird and the solid black contour on the left side of the pear.

Yesterday (Friday) I applied finishing touches using pen and ink to create cleaner lines and enhance contrasts.
To produce this second print I cut and tore more of the card 'plate' - a little too enthusiastically - and later worked into it with pen and ink and collaged a small area to improve the right hand pear shape.
This next plate below was created by engraving on clear, flexible plastic from a sketch of tulips and then printing with black ink.

For this print I painted a mixture of screen filler and carborundum in the negative spaces, which absorbed the ink and printed black.

The technique was the same for this print, which I later had great fun transforming with pen and ink, watercolour pencils and gouache.

Finally we produced a collagraph - the most complicated procedure of the day - which involves gluing anything from string, card and fabric to leaves, petals and seedheads onto greyboard or mountboard, which is then sealed with shellac and allowed to dry before being inked up and printed.

For my collagraph I used sand - see the top very dark layer - and anaglypta for the Moon and Venus. The tulips were cut from beautiful paper doillies given to Jane by her Mum. The turquoise coloured ink is a signature colour used by Michele when creating her lovely collagraph prints. The painter in me couldn't resist using white gouache to brighten the Moon, Venus and tulips.
There was just time on the day to produce one more print from the collagraph plate, having quickly applied a roller-ful of yellow ochre. At my leisure yesterday - having made all of the other modifications above - I used watercolour and gouache to define the tulips and leaves, which I think improved the composition no end.


Comments

  1. Lesley, these look wonderful.I love the lacy tulips. I am amazed at the many variety of ways there are to create a print. I was disappointed when the collagraph workshop I was booked on was cancelled, hopefully it will be rescheduled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I refuse to believe you are a novice at this...they are magnificent...I love the black and white line work! x:0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful course to have attended. I like the tulips on the second from bottom print. I bet you are bursting with ideas and itching to create :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, Mimi and Cathy thanks, it was fun and I hope to attend other workshops in the future. Enjoy the bank holiday. Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful, fun day! I love those tulips, all of them, but think I like the monochrome lacy ones best!

    You have such great talent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed all your forays into printmaking Lesley. You did produce a lot of lovely work. I think collographs are really fascinating but I have never tried any. Co-incidentally enough I have just taken delivery of a small table top etching press and I have been trying out some printmaking of my own.

    Btw I am making progress with your drawing. It is quite detailed and time consuming but I didn't want you to think I wasn't doing it. I hope you like it when it is finished. I love your painting.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gilly, thanks it was. The white gouache looks good against the concentrated blue of the ink, doesn't it? x

    Cathy, I'll look forward to seeing what you produce, now that you have a tabletop press. As to the drawing, I had an idea that it would be time consuming and don't mind how long it takes. Really glad that you like the painting. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so inspiring/

    I am hoping to attend a collagraph course in a few weeks time, I hope that I have just as much fun.

    Are you inspired with a head full of ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lesley, thanks for dropping by my blog, lovely to hear from you. You live in a beautiful corner of the globe.
    The printmaking workshop looks like it was alot of fun, I have had a go at a collograph and it was very interesting.I love what you did with all your prints.I have dabbled in painting, watercolour and oils, but think I am a little more successful with a needle and thread!!
    Just had browse through your blog, but shall have to come back with a cuppa in hand and take my time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks as if you had a very productive time, of course the moon is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting Julie, Claire and Valerie - I'm off to turn the prints into cards now. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

'Wild Walking on the Beach' and other paintings on board

And then it was December! Time flies that's for sure!  Here's some new work, it's been such a pleasure to spend some uninterrupted, quality time, painting ☺

The first two paintings posted are framed and already at Art Space Gallery, St Ives

'Surging Sea' oil on board, 13.5 x 13.5 cm.  SOLD




'Confronting the Surf' oil on board, 13.5 x 13.5 cm.  SOLD




This larger painting is currently at the framer's.
'Porthmeor, Tail End of a Rainbow' oil on hardboard, 20.5 x 19 cm.  SOLD




As are the next two paintings, waiting to be mounted....
'Godrevy from Nearby' oil on board, 9.5 x 18 cm. SOLD




'Winter Seascape, Panorama in Miniature' oil on board, 13.5 x 4 cm. SOLD




These two rectangular paintings have only recently been completed and will be delivered to the framer's soon, to be mounted.
'Evening at Porthmeor' oil on board, 10.5 x 9. 5 cm. SOLD




'Among the Rocks, Porthmeor West' oil on board, 13.5 x 10 cm.  SOLD




And the follo…

New paintings for August and some from July..

Summer, such a hectic, busy time here in St Ives, no complaints though, there's been enough sunshine to keep everyone happy!
On the personal news front: All six of the artworks painted with submission to the annual ING Discerning Eye Exhibition in mind are now at the framer's.  There's still time to enter, click the link to find out more.

The Rotary Club of St Ives popular fundraising exhibition of donated postcard sized art is a high point of the annual St Ives September Festival and my contribution is already in the hands of the organisers.

The ever popular Square Deal Show at St Ives Society of Artists Mariners Gallery is another unmissable September Festival event.  I have my blank canvas, it's unwrapped and a start on it will be made very soon - just need to think about what to paint!
Again, click links to access more info.  

Here's some new work - the following four paintings will appear at Art Space Gallery, St Ives very soon.



'Limpid Sea Pool' oil …

'Shining Surf' and other small oil paintings.....

As always, weather informs these paintings and so far, April has given it all from sunny, warm days to gales, thunderstorms and hail, it certainly hasn't been dull.
The framed square paintings below have already been delivered to  Art Space Gallery, St Ives 



'Soft Horizon and Rock' oil on board, 13.5 x 13.5 cm.  SOLD




'Shining Surf' oil on board, 13.5 x 13.5 cm.  SOLD




'Beach, Mist and Sun' oil on board, 13.5 x 13.5 cm.  SOLD





'Clean Horizon, Cold Sea'
oil on board, 13.5 x 13.5 cm.  SOLD





'Beach, Cloud Reflection'
oil on board, 13.5 x 13.5 cm.  SOLD






'Waves at Porthmeor Corner'
oil on board, 13.5 x 13.5 cm.  SOLD





'Bright and Dark at the Cove'
oil on board, 13.5 x 13.5 cm.  SOLD





'Clear Water, Clearing Sky'
oil on board, 13.5 x 13.5 cm.  SOLD





The rectangular paintings (below) are currently at the framer's, waiting to be mounted.


'Surf, Rock Protection'  oil on board, 9.5 x 22.5 cm.  SOLD



'Frequent Waves and S…